1/15/11

Libertarian like Luke


Right wing Christians, Tea Party types, they're all about earning their own way. They hate spongers who want to take away their hard-earned wealth. 
"Get up outta that wheel chair," they say, "and go do some honest work, you lazy moocher." Everyone, sez them, has Opportunity. "Get your crippled up multiply schlerotic body down to the day labor center and pack hod with those bodybuilding ex-cons." "Dig some ditches." "Pull yourself up by your bootstraps like my grand daddy did."  "What gives you the right", they demand, "to take my earnings away after I worked hard phoning in book on pork futures?"
"Earn your damn keep like an honest man."

Naturally, I expect to see such lofty sentiments when I read their Good Book on which Our Great Country was founded. But, whoa, what's this?

Luke10:5-7 BE A MOOCHER, Jesus tells his peeps, be beggars.
5 “When you enter a house, first say, ‘Peace to this house.’ 6 bla bla bla 7 Stay there, eating and drinking whatever they give you, for the worker deserves his wages. Do not move around from house to house.

It's not just a brain fart, either, (unless you look at the whole Bible as one big brain fart) it's in all the apostle's epistles.
Mark 6:8-11 Mark 6:8 ... “Take nothing for the journey except a staff—no bread, no bag, no money in your belts. 9 Wear sandals but not an extra shirt.”

Matt 10:9-10. Matt 10:9 “Do not get any gold or silver or copper to take with you in your belts,
10. no bag for the journey or extra shirt or sandals or a staff, for the worker is worth his keep.

The worker might be worth his keep, but what's it to do with these preachers? They aren't out there pouring concrete. Ain't no calluses on their hands or paint stains on their shirts. A true story:

Two missionary types came walking, up to me as I was working on an old car, all dirty and greasy, just downslope from the open garage door.
“Have you heard the good news?” they ask me.
“What, you're gonna help me with this?”
“We'd like to talk to you about jesus,” they said.
“Is he gonna help me push this car up into the garage?”
“I'm afraid we can't do that”, they said, in their nice clean suits.
“If your guy Jesus was here, I imagine he'd help, him being a carpenter and all.”
“We're sorry. You have nice day now.”

Chickenshits.

No comments: