9/23/10

the Cock Crew (mat 26:31-75)


There's this line:

Matt 26:74 ...And immediately the cock crew. 

The Cock Crew what? What did the Cock Crew do? Or should I say, who? Thanks, King James Version, for giving me a mental image that will never go away. Come to find out there's even a movie, that I don't  recommend.  Google showed me some other things for this search term too, but I probably better not talk about them.

Why is Matthew talking about the Village People? Here's the story.

Jesus knows he's about to get busted, so he has his martyr complex in overdrive, and he uses the old saying "Strike the shepherd, and the sheep will be scattered”. It's not rocket science to predict that's what's about to happen, and it does. The cultists are predictable with their dance routine, “All for one, one for all”, with a little “I will never leave you” but it all goes down according to the script. The Man shows up, the cultists go all covert, singing their next number “I don't even know the dude, man”.

Jesus said something about a rooster, so when Peter hears one he realizes he's been PWND bigtime, and he goes all sobby. It doesn't say if he's weepy for not keeping his promise, or not being able to protect his leader, or what, but any way you slice it, the whole situation has gone South, to Clusterfuck City, so he can haz a sad.

The question is, what's the point of this. The authors go to a lot of trouble to stick it in here, in two places where it breaks up the narrative as it if meant something, but what? As usual I googled it and found out that means anything from “submit to the lord” to “vote republican” depending on who you ask. Evidently this story really gets christians off, but just I don't see why it's even in here. Guess I'll just go to hell. Oh well.

No comments: