4/20/09

God is a Sadist, ho hum.

I almost didn't write anything about Sura 51, because there's absolutely nothing new in it. It starts out swearing by the wind and the sky like in the old days, then recaps the MosesAdThamudNoah threat, then it has another identity crisis--

47 With power and skill did We construct the Firmament:.. 48 And We have spread out the earth:... 49 ... We have created pairs...

This sure sounds like god talking. Mohammed had an ego, but he didn't claim to create the world, so far anyway, so I guess this is god here. But now with no warning, no transition, no nuthin', it says

50 Hasten ye then to Allah. I am from Him a Warner to you...

Whaa??? God says this? Oh, he turned the mic over to Mohammed, I get it. Sometimes in a really bad movie they just keep switching scenes for no reason, till the plot gets lost and follows somebody home, and your interest goes with it, and you walk out of the theater--it's like that. A few lines later, it switches again. All of a sudden, it's God-to-Mo. I guess.

54 So turn away from them: not thine is the blame. 55 But teach (thy Message) for teaching benefits the Believers.

You still in this theater? Not me, I'm gone. I'm outta there. Just in time to catch this really weird part over my shoulder as I leave;

56 I have only created Jinns and men, that they may serve Me.
57 No Sustenance do I require of them, nor do I require that they should feed Me

Don't feed god, y'hear? And it's back to god telling you, straight up. It makes me wonder, what about all the sacrifices? Give it to me or you'll burn in hell, but I won't eat it? God loves to waste stuff.

There's one really awful line in here. It's talking about J-day, and it has this to say to the people in hell:

14 "Taste ye your trial! This is what ye used to ask to be hastened!"

It doesn't say which sadists are getting their rocks off by mocking the sufferers. The 'good' people in heaven? The kind and loving god? Whoever it is, they totally lack any kind of empathy, compassion or morality. Not satisfied with people suffering endless agony, they have to taunt them along with.

This really makes me throw up in my mouth a little.

Like I said, there's nothing new in this chapter.

3 comments:

PersonalFailure said...

Sometimes in a really bad movie they just keep switching scenes for no reason, till the plot gets lost and follows somebody home, and your interest goes with it, and you walk out of the theater--it's like thatBody of Lies. Could not follow that. Love me some DiCaprio, but yeesh.

oh, and enjoyment from watching the suffering in hell was originally a christian notion. mo's just upping the ante with a little taunting.

uzza said...

enjoyment from watching the suffering in hell was originally a christian notion.Really? I didn't know that. Ick.

Hasoneable said...

I was just thinking about this. If Mohammed was a good actor (which he probably was), then it becomes clear when Allah is speaking, when Mohammed is speaking, etc, through tone of voice and other l33t skills.. If the cult was batshit enough to tell every story exactly the way mohammed told it, or a reasonable facsimile thereof, does that make the quran make any more sense?

I could see someone talking like this and managing to bring an audience along with them. It might possibly even be easier/more natural in Quranic Arabic.

Thoughts?