10/19/08

Meme Tag!


I'm off-topic with this post because Kafirgirl, bless her little heathen heart, has tagged me with an internet meme, and she's so great, how could I refuse? So here goes:

Can You Remember The Day That You Officially Became An Atheist?
I don't understand the question. I can't remember when I couldn't read, and I loved stories about the Egyptians, The Romans, the Mayans, so I was always aware there were different names for this god thing. I doubt it ever occurred to me that they weren't all attempts to describe the same thing.


Do you remember the day you officially became an agnostic?
I really don't believe in atheists/agnostics; those terms are meaningless without a definition of god. I don't think anybody denies that the universe exists and there is a force or forces that caused it to exist and sustain its existence. By definition, isn't that god? You can accept the definition or you can put more conditions on it, like, don't call it god unless it's conscious. Or it's benevolent. Or has big tits. So it's never a question of believing or not believing, it's a question of the exact nature of what you believe.


How about the last time you spoke or prayed to God with actual thought that someone was listening?
Never did it. If I did, and someone heard me, OMG I'd be so fucking embarrassed!

Did anger towards God or religion help cause you to be an atheist or agnostic?
Talk about a sense of entitlement! Everybody's pissed at god over bad things, and they're all, “Why is there eeevil?” I don't hear anybody bitching about “Why are there good things?” Everybody assumes god is not just good, but good relative to them, not somebody else or cockroaches or the AIDS virus. If god has to be one or the other, its 50/50 likely to be either good or bad, but people just take for granted that all the bazillions of things that can happen in the universe are going to benefit them, and any that don't have some sort of awful flaw. What an ego! I'm angry that I don't hear people saying “Why did god create all these beautiful sunsets?” and “Why aren't baby kittens ugly?” and “Why does God allow love in the world?” It's not anger towards god, it's anger towards stupid ungrateful fucking people.

Here is a good one: Were you agnostic towards ghosts, even after you became an atheist?
Ghosts? Demons? Little invisible critters that get in our bodies and make us ill, or autistic, or gay, or alcoholic? The question should be what sort of critters do you think they are? Some we can I.D., call them germs, viruses, bugs; some we can't, and call them bugs, demons, devils, spirits, djinns. All these exist, even if only as products of our own minds, and people use different ways of describing them. The same event might be “I saw an angel”, “My spirit guide appeared”, “I got this mental image of an angel”, in different circumstances. Some times people prefer to be metaphorical, or they're just being lazy. Often times people are just too stupid to describe things any other way than literally. Or they might be shit smearing bonkers. So which are you, when you ask me about ghosts?

Do you want to be wrong?

It'll be great if I'm wrong. I'll come storming through the pearly gates, march right up to God, look him in the eye be all “Mosquitoes? What the HELL were you thinking?”
-------------------------

Tag! If you guys want to play, that is, you're it now!
Perky Skeptic
Anal Iced Bible
Atheist Exile
Lolkoran

(spozed to be five, but I'm too n00by to know that many atheist bloggers. )

No comments: